Material Acceptance Guidelines
SWAP collects all reusable, repairable or salvageable surplus property from UW-Madison, state agencies and municipalities. SWAP will NOT collect items that contain, or have been exposed to, chemical, biological or radiological hazards. SWAP will not accept weapons, handling hazards, or items that have been deemed by SWAP to be unsalable.
The list below is a guide to what SWAP will and will not accept but it is not a complete list. If you have questions about whether your surplus property is suitable for redistribution contact the SWAP office for assistance.
Under no circumstances are materials to be dropped off at SWAP (1061 Thousand Oaks Trail, Verona) without submitting a Surplus Request Form. SWAP reserves the right to refuse all materials identified in the Material Acceptance Guidelines as items not accepted by SWAP.
|Items Collected by SWAP
- All computer equipment, regardless of condition or age
- Computer Monitors and Televisions ($7 fee)
- Functional Office Supplies
- Copiers ($0.20 per lbs. fee)
- Complete and functional office furniture (desks, chairs, tables, etc.)
- Non-hazardous lab equipment
- Books (contact SWAP before submitting request for large quantities)
- Tools and hardware
- Electrical equipment, including motors
- Clean, modern and functional appliances
- Clean, reusable lab glass
| Items NOT Accepted by SWAP
- Equipment containing, or exposed to, chemical, biological, or radiological hazards
- Modular/System furniture
- Furniture that is broken, incomplete, or in poor condition
- Dismantled shelving
- Sharp hazards - needles, broken glass, etc.
- Contaminated or dirty lab glass
- Mixed Media - CDs, microfilm, VHS tapes, X-Rays & negatives, etc.
- Liquids or powders unless in new, sealed containers
- Light fixtures
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Weapons or any property designed or used to inflict bodily harm or physical damage