Getting Started

SWAP is a designated agent for reselling and disposing of surplus property generated by UW-Madison and Madison Area State agencies.  Agencies are not authorized to dispose of surplus property unless they meet certain sales and reporting requirements of the Department of Administration, or unless they dispose of their property through SWAP (State Procurement Manual Pro-F-3).  A detailed description of SWAP policy can be found at:

Purchasing Policy and Procedure 18

Purchasing from SWAP

Payments for UW Departments, state agencies and municipalities can be made with the following methods:

  • Procurement Card (Departmental Credit Card)
Sending Items to SWAP

SWAP collects all reusable, repairable, or salvageable surplus equipment from the UW-Madison campus and state agencies in the Madison area.  SWAP will NOT collect items that are hazardous, deemed unsaleable by SWAP staff, or items that are unsafe to handle or sell.

In order to request a pick-up of your items, you must submit a Surplus Request Form.  For more information about how to send items to SWAP, please review our Surplus Requests page.